HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

Non-Black Person

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Definitionary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Non-Black Person Reply with quote

Non-Black Person: Pronunciation Key

Someone who classifies themselves as white and have been classified as white, accepted as white by others classified as white, and who generally functions as white in all places and at all times.

[Thanks to Mr. Bilal for pointing out the redundancy of this definition of using the word "person" in the definition for the word "person"]

Reason/Explanation:
Any person who is classified by a white person as a non-white person is a black person. A black person, under the SYSTEM of white supremacy (racism), is black and/or can be red, yellow, beige, brown, etc. The color determination, in terms of people under the SYSTEM of white supremacy (racism) is not necessarily in terms of skin color but is a political determination.

If a black person is any person that is classified by a white person as a non-white person, a non-black person is any person that classifies themselves as a white person and have been classified as a white person, and accepted as a white person by all people classified as a white person, and who generally functions as a white person in all places and at a ll times.

Last edited by Edward Williams on Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
James Jones

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-Black Person Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:

White person.

Reason/Explanation:
Any person who is classified by a white person as a non-white person is a black person. A black person, under the SYSTEM of white supremacy (racism), is black and/or can be red, yellow, beige, brown, etc. The color determination, in terms of people under the SYSTEM of white supremacy (racism) is not necessarily in terms of skin color but is a political determination.

If a black person is any person that is classified by a white person as a non-white person, a non-black person is any person that classifies themselves as a white person and have been classified as a white person, and accepted as a white person by all people classified as a white person, and who generally functions as a white person in all places and at a ll times.

Can a Non-Black Person be a shade of Black (i.e. brown,yellow, red)?
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-Black Person Reply with quote

NECKST wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:

White person.

Reason/Explanation:

If a black person is any person that is classified by a white person as a non-white person, a non-black person is any person that classifies themselves as a white person and have been classified as a white person, and accepted as a white person by all people classified as a white person, and who generally functions as a white person in all places and at all times.

No. Non-Black means not black. If a person is not black they cannot be a shade of black. Not black means not black. Not on means not on. If something is not on, meaning it is off, it cannot be "part on".
James Jones

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-Black Person Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:
NECKST wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:

White person.

Reason/Explanation:

If a black person is any person that is classified by a white person as a non-white person, a non-black person is any person that classifies themselves as a white person and have been classified as a white person, and accepted as a white person by all people classified as a white person, and who generally functions as a white person in all places and at all times.

No. Non-Black means not black. If a person is not black they cannot be a shade of black. Not black means not black. Not on means not on. If something is not on, meaning it is off, it cannot be "part on".

You know...

I have often heard Non-White People (Black folks) use this word to describe other Non-White people who are attempting to use counter-racist codification. I wonder why?
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-Black Person Reply with quote

NECKST wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:
NECKST wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:

White person.

Reason/Explanation:

You know...

I have often heard Non-White People (Black folks) use this word to describe other Non-White people who are attempting to use counter-racist codification. I wonder why?

You've heard non-white people use the term "non-black person" in reference to non-white people using counter-racist codification? Now that's interesting!
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:
NECKST wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:

White person.

Reason/Explanation:

This is exactly why I don't use the tems non-black to begin with.

First off it the term term "non-black" starts from weak position because it isn't putting racsim/white supremacy is proper perspective.

Racsim/white supremacy is white over non-white at all places at all times.

Meaning, white people tell non-white people what to do all over the planet.

This makes the term "non black" problematic from the jump. Since it sounds like the term is being used as as some sort of half-ass swipe at the power white people who practice white supremacy have over non white people.

I think the term non-white offers the least amout of confusion, while revealing the most truth.

smallz
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

smallz wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:
NECKST wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:

White person.

Reason/Explanation:

This is exactly why I don't use the tems non-black to begin with.

First off it the term term "non-black" starts from weak position because it isn't putting racsim/white supremacy is proper perspective.

Racsim/white supremacy is white over non-white at all places at all times.

Meaning, white people tell non-white people what to do all over the planet.

This makes the term "non black" problematic from the jump. Since it sounds like the term is being used as as some sort of half-ass swipe at the power white people who practice white supremacy have over non white people.

I think the term non-white offers the least amout of confusion, while revealing the most truth.

smallz

Choosing not to use the term "non-black"...that's a position. In the past I have not had the luxury of not using or having to define and codify words. I have to define and codify as I go along...as the need permits itself. I was once in a conversation with a "Asian", a person from "India" and a white person. The white person brought up the term "non-black"...I suspect to get the non-white people to focus on each other.

I immediately defined the term by asking the white person by saying "non-black" were they referring to non-colored people. The white person didn't answer right away...waited a few seconds and then said "yes". The answer confused the non-white person from "India" but I quickly followed up by saying white people say they are not colored but also say all other people are colored. Therefore a non-black person is a white person, a non-yellow person is a white person, a non-red person is a white person, and so on.

I am open to the best way of handling this situation as this may not be the best way. I personally don't use the term but when it comes up in a conversation I make sure I am clear about what the person is talking about by asking them questions concerning the term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Definitionary All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: