HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

MultiCultural
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Definitionary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: MultiCultural Reply with quote

Multi-Cultural: Pronunciation Key

A person that does more than one thing.

Reason/Explanation:
Culture is what a person does at the time he or she does it. When any anthropologist and/or archeologist attempt to study someone's or some people's culture they look at what the person and/or people are doing at the time they are doing it.

If culture is what a person does at the time he or she is doing it multi-cultural is any two or more things a person does at the time he or she is doing it or any person that does more than one thing.
Josh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a White person who is dragging a Black person behind a pickup truck on a chain while drinking beer and listening to Hank Williams is multi cultural.

Josh
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
So a White person who is dragging a Black person behind a pickup truck on a chain while drinking beer and listening to Hank Williams is multi cultural.

Josh

Yes. We could also say that "multi-cultural" doesn't exist. The evidence would be that if culture is "what you do at the time you're doing it", whatever you do is your culture and it would not be logical for you to have more than one culture.

Is this where you are leading the conversation sir?

If so, I considered that as well. But with all of the talk about "muti-culturalism" I thought it best to give it a definition that leads to the revelation of truth...and the truth is that culture is whatever you are doing at the time you're doing it.

Can you suggest a tighter definition? I thought I had it down to the Einstein theorem level...you know like having the mathematical equation for the universe so that it fits in the palm of your hand. But I could be incorrect. I am open to all suggestions.
ximena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:
Josh wrote:

Josh

Yes. We could also say that "multi-cultural" doesn't exist. The evidence would be that if culture is "what you do at the time you're doing it", whatever you do is your culture and it would not be logical for you to have more than one culture.

Is this where you are leading the conversation sir?

If so, I considered that as well. But with all of the talk about "muti-culturalism" I thought it best to give it a definition that leads to the revelation of truth...and the truth is that culture is whatever you are doing at the time you're doing it.

Can you suggest a tighter definition? I thought I had it down to the Einstein theorem level...you know like having the mathematical equation for the universe so that it fits in the palm of your hand. But I could be incorrect. I am open to all suggestions.

Virtua_GOD and Josh, "multiculturality" is more than talk. It is a reality for many of us. Chicanos, Latinos (my experience) and I am sure many other individuals, with more than one culture, are indeed "bicultural". You can see this in their lifestyle the expression of their dual cultures.

For many of us, biculturality does not develop in a totally linear fashion, nor simultaneously. It is a process, that occurs over time-- socially, psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually. Starting at birth if the person is born in this country. It occurs later, if the process begins at a later age. This forms one's psychological and behavioral roots. Once achieved, one can function in a balanced manner in both cultures, a flexible, interchangeable behavior based on strong ethnic identity and respect for the second culture.

There are some interesting studies on the Theory of Biculturality that have been written to describe the phenomenon. I am thinking of one in particular written by a Chicano psychiatrist. I would be happy to share them with the forum, if I can find them. I'll look for the material if you are all interested. These were from my teacher education and ethnic studies classes. Thanks. ximena
Josh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could also say that "multi-cultural" doesn't exist. The evidence would be that if culture is "what you do at the time you're doing it", whatever you do is your culture and it would not be logical for you to have more than one culture.

Is this where you are leading the conversation sir?--VGOD

Nope.

I ain't got that far yet. The way White people use the term is always in reference to non white people, such as:

"New york is different than Norway; New York is multi cultural

or (White person speaking) "My wife is African American, we picked this neighborhood for the multi culturalism"

"Diversity" is another word White people use as a code word for non white people.

Black people learn to use the words White people use even if they are nonsense

The utility for the White supremacist is they can change the definition by changing the context; sophisticated White people can do this inbetween sentences.

For example:

White person: "Are you comming to the fraternity party?"

Black person: "no, I don't like those parties"

White person: "come on man, its very *multi cultural*"

Black person: "alright I guess I'll come"

The Black person goes and finds a house full of White people listening to rap music and eating quesa dia and sushi.

Many different cultures being practiced right?

"Multi culturalism" is one of those words to watch out for. When a person uses it, pin them down on exactly what the mean by it.

Josh
RangerX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When White People use the term, does "Multi-Cultural" mean = Non-White People

?

Such as (also):

"Diversity"

"MINORity"

"Inner-City Youth"

"Disadvantage Youth"

?

Does the term Multi-Cultural only apply to an area full of Non-White People and to Non-White People themselves?

As in, something is Multi-Cultural only if Non-White People are around.
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

RangerX wrote:

?

Such as (also):

"Diversity"

"MINORity"

"Inner-City Youth"

"Disadvantage Youth"

?

Does the term Multi-Cultural only apply to an area full of Non-White People and to Non-White People themselves?

I suspect only when non-white people are in "close proximity" to white people. Now you're gonna hafta get each white person you come in contact with to define exactly how separate is separate for them...as an individual white person.

See how confusing it gets? This is the practical value for the definition above. It eliminates confusion in the mind of the victim of white supremacy (racism) and allows non-white person to remain focused on the objective, which should be to replace white supremacy (racism) with justice.

In other words, in terms of replacing white supremacy (racism) with justice, the term "multi-cultural" should never enter the conversation...because all people on this planet can "do more than one thing".
Equis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

RangerX wrote:

?

Such as (also):

"Diversity"

"MINORity"

"Inner-City Youth"

"Disadvantage Youth"

?

Ranger X,

That would not be a correct assumption Ranger X. Cultures of the world include both white and non-white people.

A culture is what groups of people do and how at any point in time over time; and very importantly, the development and result of what a particular group of people did at a particular period or civilization and transferred, communicated, or passed along to succeeding generations through ideas or customs.
Josh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ximena,

Can a White person be "multi-cultural"?

Josh
ximena

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Equis wrote:
RangerX wrote:

?

Such as (also):

"Diversity"

"MINORity"

"Inner-City Youth"

"Disadvantage Youth"

?

Ranger X,

That would not be a correct assumption Ranger X. Cultures of the world include both white and non-white people.

A culture is what groups of people do and how at any point in time over time; and very importantly, the development and result of what a particular group of people did at a particular period or civilization and transferred, communicated, or passed along to succeeding generations through ideas or customs.

Equis and Ranger X,

I think both of you are right. Multicultural, by definition is "many cultures". And certainly, a "culture" could be of white or non white people. (i.e. French culture, Aztec culture...)

Ranger X is also correct in that in the U.S., when we speak of "multicultural" it most of the time refers to the needs and contributions of underrepresented" groups, thus, non-white.
ximena

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

"ximena,

Can a White person be "multi-cultural" - Josh"

Actually, I've hear the terms "multicultural" used more frequently to refer to things or groups - i.e. a multicultural center, a multicultural team, etc.

and the term "bicultural" when referring to people.

But to answer your question, yes, a white person can be "multicultural", although, that person will most likely be BI or at the most TRI. Chances are this person will not be any "American" whose ancestry is "multicultural" -- THAT WOULD BE EVERYONE IN THE US; but an immigrant or first generation person, who actively observes customs of two or more cultures.

Examples: A French Canadian living in America, a Russian-Argentine living in America; etc. A Dutch, Norwegian Jew living in American would be very multicultural.

This is why the term "multicultural" can be misleading. Someone could suggest, a person or school, or region is very diverse, open, and promotes ALL PEOPLE, of all cultures and colors. But just by saying "WE ARE MULTICULTURAL" -- it could be anything.

So I see Virtual God's point that for purposes of promoting justice, if the term is used alone, it could be meaningless.

Once, I went to a workshop on "cultural competency" put on by a "multicultural team" and the presenters were all white people, except for one person, who sadly was not very competent in any of the cultures represented in that area and where those taking the workshop were supposed to be working in. ~ximena
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "culture" whatever a person does at the time they are doing it?
Josh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But to answer your question, yes, a white person can be "multicultural--Ximena

Exactly, so what does this word have to do with counter racism?

This is why I gave the example of a White person dragging a Blk person behind a pickup truck while drinking beer and listening to Hank Williams.

In a system of racism White supremacy confusion works to the advantage of the White supremacists.

Once, I went to a workshop on "cultural competency" put on by a "multicultural team" and the presenters were all white people, except for one person, who sadly was not very competent in any of the cultures represented --Ximena

Exactly, the non white person is silently thinking "WTF does this hafta do with guarranteeing Im not mistreated on the basis of color?

Its very revealing because even non white people who are paid a lot of money to run "culteral compentency" programs are not as good at it as a White person in the audience.

Josh
copious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've listened and considered perhaps I have somthing to contribute.

Culture is somthing NON-WHITE and WHITE people DO in regards to how they FUNCTION within the Sytem of Racism White Supemacy.

Perhaps, WHITE people can only have CULTURE (singular) because their FUNCTION is singular. White.

Non-white people can be MULTI-CULTURAL as this means they simply are not PURE., they are not singular in function, they are not WHITE.

Imagine a pyramid and at the top there is a single point of focus (one angle, the tip) while the base has MULTI-BLE angles. The closer one pears twoards the tip the more singular the angle becomes or apears to become.

White is SUPPORTED by NON-White.
The culture is supported by the multi-culture.

I thought about this while looking at a dollar bill, they post the evidence on the paper. Notice where the EYE is right?

cope
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if non-white people would write more, scientifically, and test what they write in conversations with white people and non-white people there would be a lot less theorizing. I think this topic has even become unfocused.

I could be incorrect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Definitionary All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: