HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

"Latino"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Definitionary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Karim



Joined: 08 Sep 2003
Posts: 329
Location: Orion's Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Issa wrote:

I am not the color "white".
I do not classify or see myself as white. I see myself as a "Latina".
I do not check the box "white" in filling out forms.

Have you ever been mistaken for a non-white person (Nigga), by a person that is classified as white?
_________________
Replace White Supremacy (racism) with Ma'at
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Issa



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 9
Location: Our World

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Karim wrote:
Issa wrote:

I am not the color "white".
I do not classify or see myself as white. I see myself as a "Latina".
I do not check the box "white" in filling out forms.

Have you ever been mistaken for a non-white person (Nigga), by a person that is classified as white?


I'm sure I have.
I have sometimes been mistaken for a non-white person, by a white person, based on how I sound, what I say, what I do and do not do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karim



Joined: 08 Sep 2003
Posts: 329
Location: Orion's Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Issa wrote:
Karim wrote:
Issa wrote:

I am not the color "white".
I do not classify or see myself as white. I see myself as a "Latina".
I do not check the box "white" in filling out forms.

Have you ever been mistaken for a non-white person (Nigga), by a person that is classified as white?


I'm sure I have.
I have sometimes been mistaken for a non-white person, by a white person, based on how I sound, what I say, what I do and do not do.

What is a "latina"?
_________________
Replace White Supremacy (racism) with Ma'at
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
copious



Joined: 29 May 2003
Posts: 248

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Issa wrote:
copious wrote:
Issa:


Are you a white person?


I am not the color "white".
I do not classify or see myself as white. I see myself as a "Latina".
I do not check the box "white" in filling out forms.


Thank you for responding.

I have to critique what was said though because it seems as though you answered the question at first glance but not actually.

I asked "Are you a white person? ".

1. Not if you are the color white.
2. Ok. So does that mean that white people see you as a white person regardless of how you see yourself?
3. What does a box have to do with functioning as a white person?

Just so we are using the same language, when I say white person I mean someone who fits this definition: http://www.counter-racism.com/cgi-bin/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=325


Which definition are you using for a "white person"?

cope
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Issa



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 9
Location: Our World

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Karim wrote:
Issa wrote:
Karim wrote:
Issa wrote:

I am not the color "white".
I do not classify or see myself as white. I see myself as a "Latina".
I do not check the box "white" in filling out forms.

Have you ever been mistaken for a non-white person (Nigga), by a person that is classified as white?


I'm sure I have.
I have sometimes been mistaken for a non-white person, by a white person, based on how I sound, what I say, what I do and do not do.

What is a "latina"?


I believe I gave my working definition of "Latino/a" when I first entered this discussion. But, I will do so again.

The term "Latino/a" is short for "Latino-Americano/a" (Latin American).
"Mujer Latina" means Latin American (Latina) female.

Latinos/as, refers to Spanish-speaking people residing in the Americas--south, central, and north.

I am South-American; but have lived in the U.S. quite a few years. In SouthAmerica, we use the longer term; whereas in North America, people prefer to use the shorter term; thus most people of Latin American descent, will use that term to refer to themselves.

I hope this definition helps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karim



Joined: 08 Sep 2003
Posts: 329
Location: Orion's Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Issa wrote:

I believe I gave my working definition of "Latino/a" when I first entered this discussion. But, I will do so again.

The term "Latino/a" is short for "Latino-Americano/a" (Latin American).
"Mujer Latina" means Latin American (Latina) female.

Latinos/as, refers to Spanish-speaking people residing in the Americas--south, central, and north.

I am South-American; but have lived in the U.S. quite a few years. In SouthAmerica, we use the longer term; whereas in North America, people prefer to use the shorter term; thus most people of Latin American descent, will use that term to refer to themselves.

I hope this definition helps.

Hold up now,

Let's slow this down a little...

I can speak Spanish (a little) and reside in AmeriKKKa, am I considered a “Latin American” as well?

Everybody in the universe has a color classification…

You were asked what color are you “classified” as, not what language you speak.

What color are you “classified” as… white or non-white?
_________________
Replace White Supremacy (racism) with Ma'at
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Issa



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 9
Location: Our World

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Karim wrote:
Issa wrote:

I believe I gave my working definition of "Latino/a" when I first entered this discussion. But, I will do so again.

The term "Latino/a" is short for "Latino-Americano/a" (Latin American).
"Mujer Latina" means Latin American (Latina) female.

Latinos/as, refers to Spanish-speaking people residing in the Americas--south, central, and north.

I am South-American; but have lived in the U.S. quite a few years. In SouthAmerica, we use the longer term; whereas in North America, people prefer to use the shorter term; thus most people of Latin American descent, will use that term to refer to themselves.

I hope this definition helps.

Hold up now,

Let's slow this down a little...

I can speak Spanish (a little) and reside in AmeriKKKa, am I considered a “Latin American” as well?

Everybody in the universe has a color classification…

You were asked what color are you “classified” as, not what language you speak.

What color are you “classified” as… white or non-white?


Karim,

I understand I have been asked two different things. I was responding to the question you last asked:

"What is a Latina?"

The term Latina does not refer to a color.

It refers to language and ancestry/national origin.

You would not be classified as "Latino" unless your ancestry is Latin American/Hispanic origin.

The other question about what color I was classified as: We do not have white/non white classifications in my country. Nor all the little boxes we have to check off here to classify ourselves.

Let me look up the definitions from the CR definitionary and I'll respond later.

Thank you for the questions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karim



Joined: 08 Sep 2003
Posts: 329
Location: Orion's Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Issa wrote:

Karim,

I understand I have been asked two different things. I was responding to the question you last asked:
"What is a Latina?"


Cope wrote:
Issa wrote:
I am not the color "white".
I do not classify or see myself as white. I see myself as a "Latina".
I do not check the box "white" in filling out forms.
Are you a white person?


Issa wrote:
The term Latina does not refer to a color.

It refers to language and ancestry/national origin.

"I have sometimes been mistaken for a non-white person, by a white person, based on how I sound, what I say, what I do and do not do."--- Issa

Are you a white or non-white "PERSON"?

Issa wrote:
You would not be classified as "Latino" unless your ancestry is Latin American/Hispanic origin.

Why,

Based your definition of Latin American... How would you know, if I wasn't Latin American?

Issa wrote:
The other question about what color I was classified as: We do not have white/non white classifications in my country. Nor all the little boxes we have to check off here to classify ourselves.

OKay... everyone has a "color" classification.

Karim
_________________
Replace White Supremacy (racism) with Ma'at
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GMAN_XTREME



Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karim wrote:
OKay... everyone has a "color" classification.

Karim, you may be incorrect about that one. Read Dee's post about brazil, not everyone is given the CLEAR line between white and non-white.

For example, non-white people are divided into mulatto, zambo, mestizo, etc. There's a whole lot of confusion going on. So stick to your definitions and attempt to be constructive in everything that you say to reveal truth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Edward Williams
Site Admin


Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 3110
Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

GMAN_XTREME wrote:
Karim wrote:
OKay... everyone has a "color" classification.

Karim, you may be incorrect about that one. Read Dee's post about brazil, not everyone is given the CLEAR line between white and non-white.

For example, non-white people are divided into mulatto, zambo, mestizo, etc. There's a whole lot of confusion going on. So stick to your definitions and attempt to be constructive in everything that you say to reveal truth.

GMAN,

Is white supremacy (racism) a global SYSTEM?
_________________
What is the reason YOU were born into a SYSTEM of INJUSTICE if not to replace it with a SYSTEM of JUSTICE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GMAN_XTREME



Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:
GMAN_XTREME wrote:
Karim wrote:
OKay... everyone has a "color" classification.

Karim, you may be incorrect about that one. Read Dee's post about brazil, not everyone is given the CLEAR line between white and non-white.

For example, non-white people are divided into mulatto, zambo, mestizo, etc. There's a whole lot of confusion going on. So stick to your definitions and attempt to be constructive in everything that you say to reveal truth.

GMAN,

Is white supremacy (racism) a global SYSTEM?


Yes, White Supremacy/Racism is a global system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Edward Williams
Site Admin


Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 3110
Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

GMAN_XTREME wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:
GMAN_XTREME wrote:
Karim wrote:
OKay... everyone has a "color" classification.

Karim, you may be incorrect about that one. Read Dee's post about brazil, not everyone is given the CLEAR line between white and non-white.

For example, non-white people are divided into mulatto, zambo, mestizo, etc. There's a whole lot of confusion going on. So stick to your definitions and attempt to be constructive in everything that you say to reveal truth.

GMAN,

Is white supremacy (racism) a global SYSTEM?


Yes, White Supremacy/Racism is a global system.

GMAN,

Do the white supremacists (racists) classify people on the basis of color?
_________________
What is the reason YOU were born into a SYSTEM of INJUSTICE if not to replace it with a SYSTEM of JUSTICE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Issa



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 9
Location: Our World

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Karim wrote:
Issa wrote:

Karim,

I understand I have been asked two different things. I was responding to the question you last asked:
"What is a Latina?"


Cope wrote:
Issa wrote:
I am not the color "white".
I do not classify or see myself as white. I see myself as a "Latina".
I do not check the box "white" in filling out forms.
Are you a white person?


Issa wrote:
The term Latina does not refer to a color.

It refers to language and ancestry/national origin.

"I have sometimes been mistaken for a non-white person, by a white person, based on how I sound, what I say, what I do and do not do."--- Issa

I should probably clarify the above: by a "white American person"; based on the above.

In my country and in Europe, I blend right in with the rest. (I have lived in Argentina, Italy, France, Spain, and the U.S.)

Are you a white or non-white "PERSON"?

I am a "non-white person". I am of European and Native American descent. That makes me a mestiza = "non-white". Regardless of the fact, I may have predominant "european" physical traits.

Issa wrote:
You would not be classified as "Latino" unless your ancestry is Latin American/Hispanic origin.

Why,

Based your definition of Latin American... How would you know, if I wasn't Latin American?

I would know that you were not Latin American, if you or your ancestors did not come from a Latin American country (any Latin American country)

and I would know if you were not a "Latino" -- if your ancestry did not include a LatinAmerican/Hispanic origin.

Issa wrote:
The other question about what color I was classified as: We do not have white/non white classifications in my country. Nor all the little boxes we have to check off here to classify ourselves.

OKay... everyone has a "color" classification.

Karim


When and how do these color classifications occur?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Josh



Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 796
Location: Closer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a "non-white person". I am of European and Native American descent. That makes me a mestiza = "non-white". Regardless of the fact, I may have predominant "european" physical traits.--Issa



Issa,

In the system of racism White supremacy what are the top 3 or 4 pejoratives used by White people to describe "mestiza/s"?

Josh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
copious



Joined: 29 May 2003
Posts: 248

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

copious wrote:
Issa wrote:
copious wrote:
Issa:


Are you a white person?




Thank you for responding.

I have to critique what was said though because it seems as though you answered the question at first glance but not actually.

I asked "Are you a white person? ".

1. Not if you are the color white.
2. Ok. So does that mean that white people see you as a white person regardless of how you see yourself?
3. What does a box have to do with functioning as a white person?

Just so we are using the same language, when I say white person I mean someone who fits this definition: http://www.counter-racism.com/cgi-bin/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=325


Which definition are you using for a "white person"?

cope


Issa:

Hi. I was wondering, are you going to answer the questions I posed?
Also, how is it that you don;t know the color classifications
Issa wrote:
When and how do these color classifications occur?

when you have already used the word WHITE as a color classification?
Issa wrote:

I am not the color "white".
I do not classify or see myself as white. I see myself as a "Latina".
I do not check the box "white" in filling out forms.


Thx,
cope
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Definitionary All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Web CalendarShopping MallDonations