HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

"Ghetto"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Definitionary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: "Ghetto" Reply with quote

Ghetto: Pronunciation Key

By Karim's definition is--- social (a community) subjugated (under the power of...) political (involving acts regarded as damaging to a government or state) enviroment (The circumstances or conditions that surround one; surroundings)

Do you all think the definition or word needs refinement???

Ghetto--- A section of a city occupied by a "minority group" who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure.

Minority--- The "smaller" in number of two groups forming a whole.
A group or party having "fewer" than a "controlling number" of votes.

Group--- A number of "individuals" or things considered together because of similarities...

Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Ghetto" Reply with quote

Karim wrote:
Ghetto: Pronunciation Key

By Karim's definition is--- social (a community) subjugated (under the power of...) political (involving acts regarded as damaging to a government or state) enviroment (The circumstances or conditions that surround one; surroundings)

Do you all think the definition or word needs refinement???

Ghetto--- A section of a city occupied by a "minority group" who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure.

Minority--- The "smaller" in number of two groups forming a whole.
A group or party having "fewer" than a "controlling number" of votes.

Group--- A number of "individuals" or things considered together because of similarities...

Fuller has an interesting definition of "ghetto" that I agree with. He says that "ghetto" is not a place...it's a person. Specifically a non-white person. That's the reason we can't get away from. It goes where we go. We (non-white people) are the "ghetto".

Fuller explains this in the Eric St. James Interview that is listed as a sound bite on the Counter-Racism Sound Bites webpage. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Karim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Ghetto" Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:

Fuller has an interesting definition of "ghetto" that I agree with. He says that "ghetto" is not a place...it's a person. Specifically a non-white person. That's the reason we can't get away from. It goes where we go. We (non-white people) are the "ghetto".

Fuller explains this in the Eric St. James Interview that is listed as a sound bite on the Counter-Racism Sound Bites webpage. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I've heard it (brotha Neely Fuller interveiw) but, fount it difficult to apply. Let us look at it this way… In Atlanta, Ga., the areas where “whites” consider, being "white" community, which is really the only communities under a system of racism (white supremacy)... is actually a “ghetto” because of one, Non-white person. I don't know…

I just wanted to look at it, from a different prospective… ya no’.

Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Ghetto" Reply with quote

Karim wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:

I've heard it (brotha Neely Fuller interveiw) but, fount it difficult to apply. Let us look at it this way… In Atlanta, Ga., the areas where “whites” consider, being "white" community, which is really the only communities under a system of racism (white supremacy)... is actually a “ghetto” because of one, Non-white person. I don't know…

I just wanted to look at it, from a different prospective… ya no’.

No sir...I don't know. Counter-Racism is an exact science. You can't just use words all willy-nilly. Words have to be razor sharp. Reveal truth and use truth to promote justice and correctness...correctness being saying things in accordance with truth and doing things in accordance with truth.

Now, this is not easy to do but it has to be done. It is logical to me that a "ghetto" is a non-white person. Don't take but one non-white person to get hung from a tree, don't take but one non-white person to get drug down a street by a chain from the back of a truck...it don't take but one non-white person to be mistreated on the basis of color.

Racism (white supremacy) produces a "ghetto" by producing non-white people. This, of course, means that each individual non-white person is a "ghetto".
elan_noir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Black Women's Message board, one the moderator's decide to make a thread called "So Ghetto-What have you or someone you know done that was just "so ghetto?"

Many of the posters noted some personal examples and I then responded.

Quote:
"Something so ghetto, was my sisters standing in the line at a store eating the snacks and drinks they were about to pay for."

When white folks standing in the line at Whole Foods Market do the same exact thing, are they ghetto? I have seen a person (white female) drink a entire bottle of flavored mineral water before paying for it. The cashier just swiped an empty bottle! I would say that she probably wasn't born in the ghetto, but I could be wrong.

"So now we have a microwave with a missing knob...but it stills works. LOL!!!!"

Your hubbie seems pretty damn genious and practical. That isn't ghetto.

"Now it ain't like we don't have banking accounts but just cause the bank was closed he felt that he wanted to cash that check somewhere."

That would be thinking outside the box. That's not "ghetto".

I'm sorry but I think I may be on the slow side (but I doubt it). Can someone please define precisely what ghetto means? I need to ask this is because the Americanized "ghetto" refers to black people who really don't know any better, all across the board, socially, economically, culturally, etc.

Quote:
Merriam Webster's Main Entry: 1ghet·to Pronunciation: 'ge-(")tO
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural ghettos also ghettoes
Etymology: Italian, from Venetian dialect ghèto island where Jews were forced to live, literally, foundry (located on the island), from ghetàr to cast, from Latin jactare to throw -- more at JET
1 : a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live
2 : a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure
3 a : an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto> b : a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity <stuck in daytime TV's ghetto>

-Elan
Josh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reason I agree that "ghetto" is a person and not a place is because I have seen what happens when White people move into a "ghetto" and niggers get moved out.

Its nolonger a "ghetto", its a "historic area".

I even asked a Blk person one time how she could double the value of her property WITHOUT doing any improvements or repairs.

After a bit of silence I said:

move all the non white people out of the neighborhood.

Black people don't like to admit this but they know its true. Their behavior betrays them.

When White people start moving into the "ghetto" niggers get nervous because they know it means they are going to be MOVED out.

Josh
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

Just look at how areas with high concentration of non white people, that white people used to call the "ghetto", now has a bunch of white people living their.

Now it's a suburb.

Being from Newark, NJ I remember when my momz used to tell me that:

"newark wasn't alsways a ghetto, before the riots, Newark was nice and it used to be nothing but jews and Italians."

Which I suspect the case in more places than just Newark.

Another example of this is with Bill Clintoon and his Harlem office.

All of a sudden Clinton wants to live with "the blax" and the "property value" in Harlem elevates to a level where the non white who had been occupying Harlem for generations prior to Clinton, can no longer afford their living cost.

Sounds like Racism/White Supremacy to me.

smallz
Josh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallz wrote:

Quote:
All of a sudden Clinton wants to live with "the blax" and the "property value" in Harlem elevates to a level where the non white who had been occupying Harlem for generations prior to Clinton, can no longer afford their living cost.

I heard a commentator on NPR discussing this phenomenon. He said a person he met told him he was living in "North Manhatten". This puzzeled the comentator for a While until he realized it was Harlem.

"see how step by step they grab your mind?"--Malcolm X

Josh
RangerX

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Niggers get this Correct ?

Ghetto is a Person, a Non-White Person.

Every single Time a White Person or a suspect White Person (and Even NON-White People) is talking about a "Ghetto" or how he/she got lost "in the Ghetto", when I come to find out What People Live in that area...

I find out, Non-White People live there.

This happens over and over and over. And Niggers around me STILL fail to Follow the Logic and realize that a Ghetto is a Non-White Person.

For example,

When I first moved to this "Suburban" area, I already started to hear "rumors" and stories about "The Ghetto" part of this little city/suburb..., and I was confused about that because I did not Hear stories/facts about wild "Shootouts" and "Gangs" and High Crime Rates and People getting murdered everyday....So I am like ...A GHETTO ?

I dont see shyt!

But then I find out, "His Panics" Live there...

This is where I began to get suspicious and started to realize, I do not think a "Ghetto" is a Place, but I suspect a Ghetto is a Non-White PERSON.

I then suspected that SAME Area Prior to HisPanics living there was NOT a Ghetto, but just another "Suburban (White) Neighborhood".

I use to think a "Ghetto" was an area full of "Poor"/Impoverished People full with Drug Dealing, Gangs, Violence,...but that is not True, because there could be (and there are) Areas full of Non-White People with Minimal Crime Rates, No Gangs, No Shootouts, and that area will STILL be called/labeled "The Ghetto".

Follow the Logic,

Ghetto = Non-White Person

If only the average Nigger could just Follow the Logic and pay attention to the WORDS (Tools) and Labels White People use to describe Non-White People.

And it does not matter if you earn "six figures" a Year, You own a Mansion up in a Hill Somewhere, or you live in a "high class" neighborhood with other wealthy Niggers that "Made It Out the Ghetto"...You are STILL a Ghetto Person (Nigger) at the end of the day.

This is yet another "joke" that I hear from Niggers who say:

"I made it Out the Ghetto, but I still Represent and Keep it real, I will never forget about The Ghetto"

Nigga', you are still "there" !

Follow the Logic, Observe and Pay Attention!

-RangerX
RWSWJ
cloudsong

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is so interesting to me as a white person, I'm not sure why. The first thing that grabbed my attention was drinking and eating things before buying them in the store -- I always do that.

The thing is, the people here are so intelligent, they do not fit the "stereotype", you are not "SUPPOSED" to be intelligent if you are black.

You are not SUPPOSED to wait till you check out, to eat and drink. You are not SUPPOSED to keep your yard neat.

These are based on myths and are not even reality for the majority of non-white people.

The language has to be changed. It is changing. But when a black child gets an A, he should be told, "You're acting black." Every stereotype of what's white and what's black has to be reversed.

It's black to be intelligent, have a professional career. It's white to drink juice in line at the grocery store. It's white to keep your lawn weedy. There's just as much truth in those statements when you substitute white, isn't there? Why do people allow these myths?

cloudsong
RangerX

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?

Cloudsong,

This topic isnt about "Acting Black"or "Acting White"...

This topic is about the definition of the Word/Label = Ghetto.

What/WHO is a Ghetto (Person) ?

Under the System of Racism White Supremacy,

by default,

You are Not.

I am.

-RangerX
RWSWJ

P.S. another interesting example I have is when I observe and notice areas with Homes that are not well taken care of, (Paint chips falling off, old Windows, crummy looking homes), "low Income" areas that are Populated by suspected White People, and I have never heard those areas being called a Ghetto. Not once. They would be called "Nice" areas, "Low Income" maybe, or "crappy small town", etc, but NOT "Ghetto".

Follow the Logic
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when white people and non-white people live in the same area the white people do not live in the ghetto.
cloudsong

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a white person and a non-white person do the same thing, like drink in line and not mow their lawn, to both of which I plead guilty, is the non-white person 'ghetto' and the white person is just 'eccentric'?

I think that's true that the white person is not ghetto but only by "default', as you said Ranger X.

De fault of white supremacy/racism!

cloudsong
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

cloudsong wrote:
If a white person and a non-white person do the same thing, like drink in line and not mow their lawn, to both of which I plead guilty, is the non-white person 'ghetto' and the white person is just 'eccentric'?

I don't know.

cloudsong wrote:
I think that's true that the white person is not ghetto but only by "default', as you said Ranger X.

De fault of white supremacy/racism!

cloudsong

Yes...by default...meaning under the SYSTEM of white supremacy (racism) all white people are members of the royal family. Maybe not in good standing but members nonetheless. All of the attributes awarded to royalty...most beautiful, most POWERFUL, etc.

"Ghetto" is not a constructive attribute for members of the royal family.
cloudsong

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a forgiving and loving person. You answered these questions of mine even though I exploded at you. I understand it's fear that motivates your suspicion of me. I just couldn't take the suspicion any more yesterday. I am so so sorry. You are trying with all your being to counter WS/R. Heaven knows we need you.

Peace.

Karen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Definitionary All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: