HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

"Leveling the Playing Field"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Definitionary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: "Leveling the Playing Field" Reply with quote

"Leveling the Playing Field" is a concept that White people often use when discussing race with non white people. It is used with such frequency that I consider it a basic "default mode" that White people arrive at the discussion with.

The concept works like this: In a discussion of racism, a White person will attempt to shift the focus of the problem from one that is COLOR dependent (race) onto any other classification that is NOT color dependent.

In other words the race problem gets framed in terms of social/political affiliations that people pick and CHOOSE (things that can be changed) and not COLOR (which can't be changed). What White people are really trying to do with this strategy is obscure the existence of a system of White supremacy.

EXAMPLE:

BLACK PERSON: "Black people and White people don't even attend the same churches...I think there is a race problem"

WHITE PERSON: "My church is very *diverse*; we have liberals, conservatives, gays, straights, Hispanics, enviormentalist, NRA memebers..."

If you noticed, all the catagories the White person mentions are ones that Black people can CHOOSE to become. This is how they take the focus off color, and therefore off the system of White supremacy. What is even more common is for the White person to throw the term "Black people" into that confusing mix of electives.

Many Black people don't catch it but the effect is that it makes being mistreated on the basis of COLOR, equal to :

1. CHOOSING to practice anal sex.

2. CHOOSING to be concerned about the enviorment

3. CHOOSING to vote republican

4. CHOOSING to own guns

5. CHOOSING to speak Spanish

The latest example of this phenomenon I call "leveling the playing field" was in the recent Supreme Court hearings on "affirmative action" where the proponents of the program argured that Black students (they used the term "minorities" to avoid mentioning color) should get special consideration in admissions policy becase ATHELETES, ALUMNIS, MUSICIANS and students from forgien countries get special consideration.

Do you see what I mean?

They were comparing people who get mistreated on the basis of color (Black people), to people who play clarinet (any people) or can swim or run well...

But thats not all, White people also use this strategy to obscure the system of White supremacy itself.

EXAMPLE:

BLACK PERSON: " we catch hell nomatter where we go or what we do"

WHITE PERSON: "yeah; capitalism, sexism, racism and homophobia are the systems of exploitation that oppress all of us..."

See how it works?

White people use the tactic of "leveling the playing field" to shift the focus of being a Black person from being mistreated on the basis of color to anything that is not COLOR dependant (changable).

It works well on Black people because we are desparate to escape our mistreatment and be "included".

"included" in what?

"included" in the group of people who aren't mistreated on the basis of COLOR.

To sum it up, stay focused on the connection between being mistreated and being Black

and don't allow anyone to make being a Victim of Racism the equivalent of any other experience.

Because, by doing so, you obscure the only proof of the existence of the system of White supremacy.

And if White supremacy doesn't exist,

why are you reading this?

Josh
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: "Leveling the Playing Field" Reply with quote

Interesting post Josh. I agree with your analysis.

In addition to it I would also like to add that white people also use the same strategy to condition the non-white person(s), in terms of being comfortable.

One way this is done is the white person can even come among non-white people who are having a discussion about replacing white supremacy (racism) with justice. The white person will, and I have seen this done many times, make statements that condemn "racism" in such a way that the non-white person begins to feel "comfortable" with the white person involved in the conversation.

The non-white person begins to focus on having a white person "on their side" rather than maintaining focus on replacing white supremacy (racism) with justice.

Under a SYSTEM of white supremacy (racism) the object of each and every non-white person SHOULD BE to replace the SYSTEM of white supremacy (racism) with a SYSTEM of justice. Justice meaning, guaranteeing that no person is mistreated and also guaranteeing the person that needs help the most gets the most help.

What the non-white person can do, when they find a white person that says they are against racism (white supremacy), is to start asking the white person HOW to solve the problem of racism (white supremacy). Ask the white person HOW to identify the white supremacists (racists)...ask the white person do they know any white supremacists (racists)...

In essence find out what the criteria is for being a white supremacists (racists). After you find that out find out what is the most efficient way to counter the behavior of the white supremacists (racists) and do it in such a manner that the non-white person does not get harmed…SCIENTIFICALLY.

The white person can “prove” they are not a white supremacists (racists) once the SYSTEM of white supremacy (racism) no longer exists.
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: "Leveling the Playing Field" Reply with quote

Leveling the Playing Field:

(1) Replacing white supremacy with justice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Definitionary All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: